Dog in Raynes Park swallows knitting needle
By adam_leone | Friday, January 25, 2013, 20:37
A pet owner in Raynes Park has had a lucky escape after they discovered their dog had swallowed a knitting needle.
Ruddles with owner
Ruddles, a two year old Labrador owned by six year old Alex Vickery and his parents, Eleanor and Steve Vickery noticed that he had stopped eating and were concerned that he might have a fragment of bone caught in his throat. T
After taking him to them to the Stone Lion Veterinary Hospital where vet Jacqui Griffiths examined him, they saw the needle lodged in his throat.
Jacqui said: "When I palpated Ruddle's neck, it was clearly very swollen," explained Jacqui. "I couldn't find a bone fragment so we decided to take an X-ray."
"It was then that we saw the needle very clearly. It was almost completely embedded in the base of his tongue - it was amazing that he could still breathe given the extent of the swelling."
"Fortunately the needle still had thread it in so I was able to tease it out very slowly."
Eleanor Vickery, said: "We've had Ruddles from a pup and he's part of the family. He has a big appetite so it was unlike him to be off his food so we had a feeling that something was wrong."
Jacqui Griffiths added: "Pets swallowing needles is commoner than you'd expect and Labradors are well known for their enthusiasm to eat anything and everything!"
"Poor Ruddles certainly got more than he bargained for but he's recovering well and will be none the worse from his sharp snack!"