Met police launch Autumn Nights around Wimbledon and London
By adam_leone | Monday, October 08, 2012, 19:40
The Met police have said that crime goes up as the winter nights draw in. That's why they've been handing out advice to home owners across London, including Wimbledon and Merton about keeping safe during the cold nights and how to put off would be opportunist theives.
So people of Wimbledon, here are the top ten tips for crime prevention from the Met!
1. Mark or etch your property with your postcode, house or flat number or the first three letters of your house name.
2. Register items with a serial number at http://www.immobilise.com/
3. Do not leave your car keys, valuables or ID documents near a door, letterbox or window.
4. Always check who's at the door and don't open it if you feel anxious.
5. Close and lock all your doors and windows, even if you are only going out for a few minutes.
6. Keep your valuables out of sight.
7. Leave some lights on if it will be dark before you get home.
8. Fit a mortice lock to your front door and other external doors. Consider installing a burglar alarm.
9. Always keep sheds and outbuildings locked.
10. Cancel milk or other deliveries if you will be away for days or weeks at a time.