Mixed views on Dundonald Primary expansion
By adam_leone | Monday, January 21, 2013, 17:29
Planning bosses approved plans to expand Dundonald Primary School onto the recreation ground last week.
It means that Dundonald Rec could lose 5% of it's space to the school.
There are also claims that Merton Council is seeking the removal of legal protection against building on the Rec.
The Mayor of London, Boris Johnson now has 14 days to decide whether to let the decision proceed unchanged.
Local campaigner, Diana Coman says: "The argument against the plans to build on Dundonald Rec is about the erosion of an asset."
"Yes, we have a problem of lack of school places, but using other assets - like public open space - to correct the problem created by both Conservative and Labour administrations does not seem to me to be an answer."
Last year Merton Council Leader, Stephen Alambritis claimed that the borough was in need to satisfy primary school places.
Councillor Peter Walker said "I welcome this decision which saw a cross party vote to support the expansion of Dundonald School. It is a victory for the 200 local children and their parents who will gladly take the extra places the expansion will create"
"It is also a victory for local residents who will benefit from a £6million investment in the park. It means new facilities for local people, and contrary to what has been said locally, will see an actual increase in publicly available open space for park users"
What are your thoughts on the development? Leave your comments below.